
Sometimes, in fact most times, our faith in God stirs more questions than answers. We pick up the Bible and questions begin to flow with regards to context, meaning and language. For a long time I battled with the many questions that seemed to well up in me every time I read the Bible or went to church or small group. Why did I have so many questions and seemingly so few answers? But now I embrace these questions, I recognize that faith in God is complex. It involves delving into a book written in a totally different time and holding subtleties and complexities that can only be discovered through study. It involves interacting with others around the most intimate part of your being, your faith.
When you’re passionate about your faith and Jesus then uncomfortable truths, in congruencies and differences are taken to heart. But maybe we overcomplicate our faith? Maybe we should yes, seek answers to burning faith questions with passion and fervor; I think God would want our love for Him to be expressed in this way. But these questions should need not lead to excessive discomfort and guilt… So maybe we should become more comfortable with our millions of questions, some of which may take a lifetime to be answered, and instead focus on the important things. Does God love us? Yes. Do we love God? Yes. Then it is OKAY and will always be OKAY.
Recently, there have been a lot of questions thrown at the major international climate change body, the International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), which compiles and peer reviews climate change science for publication and issues statements with regards to the findings. These questions and media scares simply indicate one fact; the world is uncomfortable with an imperfect science. It’s complicated; it throws up more questions than answers and it calls for significant changes in the way we live our lives. But let’s be certain, two questions can be answered. Is the climate changing? Yes. Do we have enough knowledge and ability to do something now? Yes.
Once again I ask you to: (1) Research climate change for yourself. (2) Talk about climate change with whoever you can. (3) Lead greener lives.
Awareness and understanding, leads to action.
May the questions then, those of our faith and those of understanding our Earth, never scare or intimidate us, but keep us humbly seeking God and seeking the truth in all things, because seeking understanding is surely the ZEST OF LIFE!